Before taking on the challenge of running a business for yourself, there are some important things you need to consider.
Tools and checklists
- Business planning online - LivePlan
The Department of State Growth has purchased a business plan software tool, Liveplan, for the sole use of Tasmanian small businesses and can be made accessible through Enterprise Centres Tasmania.
- Business plan guide and template
This guide and template step you through the process of developing business plan. You can tailor the plan to meet your own business needs. Both the guide and template are from www.business.gov.au
- Business plan app
The Australian Government has developed a business plan app to help you get started. It guides you through the process of creating a solid and well-structured business plan. The MyBizPlan app is available for both AndroidTM and iPad.
- Marketing plan guide and template
This guide and template will help you prepare a marketing plan to help you identify your customers, your competitors and develop a strategy to make your business stand out. Both the guide and template are from www.business.gov.au
- Marketing plan app
The Australian Government has developed an app to guide you through creating a marketing plan. The MarketMyBiz app is available for both AndroidTM and iPad.
- How to conduct a feasibility studyConducting a feasibility study will help you work out if your business idea has a good chance of success.
- Fact Sheet - Start a business checklistWorking through this checklist will help you take the necessary steps to get your business off the ground.
- Choosing the right siteLocation is critical to the success of many businesses, particularly those in the retail industry.
- Checklist - Is your home suitable?A home base is not suitable for every type of business.
- Checklist: Evaluating the purchase of a businessA successful evaluation should indicate the potential of the business and enable sales, profit and cash flow projections to be made for at least the next 12 months.
- Checklist: Market research and intelligence sources
This is a listing of information, data and statistics sources that may be useful for business who are interested in investing in Tasmania or Tasmanian business looking to sell their products or services interstate or overseas.
This listing is divided into the following sections:
- Statistics and services for business
- Economic data and information on Tasmania
- Small Business profile and benchmarking
- Exporting and international markets
- Preparing for business downturn
Your business may be affected by challenging periods such as an economic downturn. Keeping your business strong during these events might be difficult, but there are steps you can take and opportunities available to you.
Check for upcoming events here.
for your business
Info to help get you started or get more out of being online