You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Tue Jul 25 13:08:55 AEST 2017
Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice


The Department will be contacting licence holders by phone and email over the next few months to confirm that our records are correct.

From 6 November 2017:

  • Applications will be commenced online
  • Licensees will be able to renew and pay online
  • Licensees will be able to change details such as their postal address or email address online
  • Licensees will receive reminders of the need to go online to renew
  • If you hold a security, motor trader, conveyancer or owner builder licence, these online services are not available to you until early 2018.

Download the Guide to licensing services online (pdf, 1.0 MB) for more information about our online services.

Licensed occupations

The following occupations require a licence in Tasmania:

Building Services Provider

A Building Services Provider requires a building services licence for the following classes:

Builder classes:

Design classes:

Building surveyor classes:

Licensed entities

Permit Authority

A building services licence requires a building services provider to be:


You are required to Apply for a licence within 30 days of completing your apprenticeship as an electrician, plumber, gas-fitter or automotive gas-fitter.

Mutual recognition of a licence

Applicants can apply for mutual recognition of an interstate or New Zealand licence:

Persons from other countries

Electricians, gas-fitters, automotive gas-fitters and plumbers who have trained in other countries (not including Australia or New Zealand) can Apply for a licence to operate in Tasmania.

Change of address details

If you are a licence holder and have recently relocated, please use this online form to update your details.

Licence search

You are able to search for licensed practitioners and contractors.