Rates are a tax the Council charges all residents in order to provide a range of services in the municipality. If you own land in the Kingborough Council area, you will need to pay rates.

Rates are normally made up of a general rate and a service rate and/or charge. The rights and responsibilities of ratepayers and councils are set out in Part 9 of the Local Government Act 1993 (external link).

Councils are expected to deliver many services and to provide an acceptable level of public amenity for the benefit of all residents. Their main source of revenue is a property tax, commonly known as ‘rates’. This tax is based on the capital value of each property on a fixed date for all rateable properties across the municipal area.

Service rates cover things like stormwater, waste management and other services provided by Council.

Rates notices are posted to property owners around 30 days before payment is due. You can choose to pay your rates in four quarterly instalments, or other options are listed on the back of your rates notice. If you pay by instalments, you will receive your instalment reminder notice around 30 days before your payment needs to made.

Kingborough Council Rates & Budget 2017-18 (Information Brochure PDF)


You can get a discount on your rates if you have one of the following:

  • a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • a Department of Veteran’s Affairs Repatriation Health ‘Gold Card’ which bears the inscription ‘War Widow ‘ or ‘TPI’
  • an Australian Government Health Care Card.

* Please note that Seniors Health Care Cards do not qualify for a discount.

You must also have your name on the title and occupy the property as your principal dwelling, on or prior to 1 July of the rating year.

Late payments

If you are late to pay your rates, you may be charged penalties. If you are having trouble paying your rates, it’s important you contact Council as soon as possible to make a plan. If we don’t hear from you, we can’t help you and we may commence legal action.

In cases of severe financial hardship, you may be eligible to have your payments deferred. You will need to apply for this in writing and you may still have to pay interest and penalties.

If Council needs to commence legal proceedings to collect outstanding rates, you may be liable for collection costs. In cases of serious or extended failure to pay, Council may have legal authority to sell all, or part, of your property to settle your debt.

Rates Forms