Making a workers compensation claim

Step 1

Seek treatment and get a workers compensation certificate from your doctor.

Your doctor must be accredited by the WorkCover Tasmania Board to issue these certificates if they reside or provide a medical service in this Tasmania.

Search for an accredited provider.

Step 2

Tell your employer about your injury/illness as soon as possible. This can be done

  • verbally
  • by email or
  • in writing.

Step 3

Your employer must give you a Notice of Right to Make a Workers Compensation Claim form within 14 days of you telling them about your injury (step 2).

Your employer must then tell their insurer within 3 working days about your injury.

Step 4

If you wish to make a claim, ask your employer for a workers compensation claim form.

If you ask for this form, your employer must give you one and must not obstruct you.

You should usually do this within 6 months of the date of your injury. If you decide to leave your employment, you must do this before you leave.

More information about time limits on making claims (especially for illness and industrial deafness) can be found in the publication below.

Step 5

Complete the claim form and give it to your employer, along with your workers compensation medical certificate.

You can do this in person, or by post.

What happens next

Your employer must tell their insurer within 3 working days that they have received your claim and forward it within 5 working days.

To see what your employer must do for payments, see Making payments and expenses.

The insurer will tell you and the employer they have received the claim within 28 days. They will also supply both of you with information about your rights, roles and responsibilities during the compensation process.

Make sure you continue to promptly supply medical certificates and invoices to your employer while your injury is ongoing.

Claiming for a deceased family member

If a worker has died from a work-related injury or disease, their dependants may be entitled to compensation. A claim by a dependant must be:

  • made within 6 months of the date of the deceased worker's death
  • accompanied by a certificate signed by a medical practitioner certifying the date of death
  • delivered to the employer (or a person designated by the employer)

Changing your doctor

If you have changed your primary treating Doctor, you are required to:

  • notify your employer of the name of your new medical practitioner
  • authorise your new medical practitioner to obtain all records relating to your workplace injury from your previous medical practitioner

You will need to complete the form Authority and consent for release of medical records which you can download from the Guides and forms listing or you can use one supplied by your employer's insurer.