The Asbestos Unit of Workplace Standards Tasmania was formed in August 2010. One of the Unit’s main aims is to increase coordination of asbestos management in Tasmania. The Unit is also working to provide a strategic and specialised approach that will improve asbestos management across Government.
One of the goals of the Unit is to increase education and awareness on asbestos issues among the community, including tradespeople and home renovators. This website aims to contribute to that goal.
Many workers, and community members, can not recognise asbestos containing materials, and they do not know correct safety precautions to take when working around asbestos. We hope that you will find answers to many of your questions about asbestos and will assist in:
- increasing community awareness of asbestos and asbestos containing materials;
- educating the community on the risks involved with incorrect removal and disposal of asbestos;
- increasing understanding for trade apprentices and employers;
- minimising community concern and promoting community confidence in the way the Tasmanian Government manages materials containing asbestos; and
- informing the community about new statutory compensation laws for occupational exposure.
Improving Asbestos Management in Tasmania (AR017) 10 pages
Report to the Minister for Workplace Relations by the Asbestos Steering Committee June 2010