You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Feb 12 13:47:23 AEDT 2014

Off Road Vehicles FAQs

Why do I have to insure my off road vehicle?


Owners and drivers of off-road and recreational trail bikes, farm bikes, all terrain vehicles, dune buggies etc. must insure their vehicles for MAIB third party insurance cover to be eligible for MAIB benefits.

If there is no MAIB third party insurance cover on your off-road vehicle, the MAIB has the right to recover damages for any benefits paid as the result of an accident that involves your off-road or recreational vehicle.


That means you could end up paying for injuries you cause to another person. The best idea is to make certain your vehicle is insured, qualifying you for MAIB benefits


Which vehicles require third party insurance cover?


Although not all vehicles are required by law to be registered, it is in your interest to insure all vehicles to be covered against claims for damages in the event of an accident.


If you own or operate any of the vehicles listed below and an accident occurs on public or private land involving a third party and your vehicle is not insured, you may be liable for any damages awarded to the injured party.


a)  Ride-on lawn mowers (capable of exceeding 10kph)

b)  Farm tractors

c)  Agricultural farm bikes

d)  Hydraulic excavators

e)  Log skidders

f)   Dune buggies

g)  Self-propelled golf buggies

h)  Off-road recreational motor cycles and all terrain vehicles

i)   Earth-moving equipment

j)   Self-propelled sports ground maintenance equipment

k)  Forklift trucks


What happens if I do not insure my off road vehicle?


If an owner fails to pay a MAIB premium, the MAIB can still be liable to make payments to injured passengers or pedestrians.


Should this occur, the MAIB has the authority to recover the cost of these payments from you.

Copyright © 2014 Motor Accidents Insurance Board

Street Address
Level 1, 33 George Street Launceston TAS 7250

Postal Address
PO Box 590, Launceston TAS 7250

Telephone: (03) 6336 4800

Fax: (03) 6336 4848

Toll Free: 1800 006 224