You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Feb 12 13:47:07 AEDT 2014

General FAQs

1. Which vehicles need to be registered?

Any motor vehicle that is used in an area defined as a "public street" is required by law to be registered and must carry MAIB third party insurance. 

The definition of a public street is broad and can cover both private and public land including recreational areas, beaches etc.


The precise wording is provided in the Traffic Act 1925.


2. What is considered a motor vehicle?


The Vehicle and Traffic Act definition of a "motor vehicle" covers all vehicles powered by a motor. This includes electric wheelchairs capable of exceeding 10 kmph, ride-on motor mowers capable of exceeding 10 kmph, fork lifts and golf carts, and a wide variety of off-road vehicles in addition to standard passenger vehicles.


Many of these vehicles are not required by law to be registered as they are not used on a "public street". However, accidents still occur, making MAIB third party insurance a necessary safeguard.


Under Tasmanian third party insurance provisions, vehicle drivers/riders and owners are not eligible for benefits and can be liable for substantial damages claims if their vehicle is not insured. 


Protect yourself physically and financially by insuring your vehicle with MAIB.


3. How do I arrange third party insurance?


Your local Service Tasmania Shop can assist you by arranging MAIB third party insurance for your vehicle, machinery or off-road vehicle. For further information on MAIB third party insurance and premiums payable click here.


4. Can I access MAIB brochures on this web site?


The following brochures can be accessed in the Resources/Publications section of this site:

1. Tasmania
’s Motor Accidents Insurance Board

2. MAIB Claims Procedures & Scheduled Benefits Payable

3. MAIB Off-Road Vehicles Personal Injury Insurance


To arrange to receive a hard copy by post, please:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ; or


Phone MAIB on (03) 6336 4800 or toll free on 1800 006 224.


You can also obtain a copy by visiting a Service Tasmania Shop or the MAIB Office (Launceston). 


5. Where do I find your legislation?


The Motor Accidents (Liaiblities and Compensation) Act 1973 and the Motor Accidents (Liabilities and Compensation) Regulations are available online at Please follow the link provided in the Publications section of the website.


6. What do I do if I have a complaint?


If you have encountered customer service that does not meet acceptable standards, the MAIB would like to hear from you. We are committed to a timely and fair resolution of formal complaints and will ensure that your complaint is taken seriously.


Any complaints as to the standard of service provided may be addressed in writing to the:


Chief Executive Officer


PO Box 590



Every endeavour will be made to contact you by phone or in writing, within 2 business days of the compaint being received. Your complaint will be investigated by either the Complaints Officer or appropriate Department Manager, who will the contact you to advise the result of any investigations. This will occur within 15 business days of the lodgement of the initial complaint.


For further information please see our Customer Service Charter.


7. Who is the Minister responsible for the MAIB?


The Shareholding Ministers for the MAIB are the Minister for Infrastructure and the Treasurer. The details of the current Ministers can be found on the Parliament of Tasmania website.

Copyright © 2014 Motor Accidents Insurance Board

Street Address
Level 1, 33 George Street Launceston TAS 7250

Postal Address
PO Box 590, Launceston TAS 7250

Telephone: (03) 6336 4800

Fax: (03) 6336 4848

Toll Free: 1800 006 224