You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Sat Feb 08 11:37:24 AEDT 2014

 Home | About Us | Feedback | Help | Site Map
Managing Our Natural Resources
Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment

Home > Managing Our Natural Resources > Publications, Forms and Permits > Forms and Permits > About Scientific Permits (Fauna)

Scientific Permits (Fauna)

A scientific permit is usually required for any research involving the collection or disturbance of protected wildlife in Tasmania.

Protected wildlife includes:
  • all rare and threatened species
  • most native vertebrates
  • some introduced vertebrates
  • some native invertebrates
  • all animals on reserved land
Permit applications must be made using the required Scientific Permit Application Form and with all associated information requested attached.

A Permit Summary Form must be completed in conjunction with the Scientific Permit Application Form.

Before completing an application, please read the guidelines for issuing scientific permits.

A scientific permit report is normally required as a condition of a scientific permit.

If you are intending to take or disturb vertebrate or higher invertebrate wildlife then you must have Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) Approval from an institution licensed under the Animal Welfare Act 1993. This AEC approval process is managed separately from the scientific permit approval process and is applied for separately. See Animal Research and the AEC.

If you are collecting freshwater fish or marine fish (including marine invertebrates) you will need a separate permit. Contact the Inland Fisheries ServiceYou are now leaving our site. DPIPWE is not responsible for the content of the web site to which you are going. The link does not constitute any form of endorsement for all permits to take freshwater and marine fish. Complete a Fishery Permit Application in relation to taking marine fish (including marine invertebrates). If these species are threatened you will still need a scientific permit in addition.

To remove protected wildlife from Tasmania requires an export permit.

Please note that as part of the process for issuing scientific permits, the community is invited to view and comment upon all new permit applications.

Forms required

Supporting information

Further information

Contact: Scientific Research Permits
Biodiversity Conservation Branch
134 Macquarie Street
Hobart TAS 7000
Phone: 03 6165 4305
Fax: 03 6233 3477

Department switchboard:  1300 368 550 (local call cost within Australia)

Go to top of page

Tasmania Online

Tasmania Online | Service Tasmania

This page - - was last published on 15 January 2014 by the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment. Questions concerning its content can be sent to Internet Coordinator by using the feedback form, by mail to GPO Box 44, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 7001, or by telephone.

Please read our disclaimer and copyright statements governing the information we provide on this site.

A text version of this page is also available.