You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Thu Feb 06 13:27:10 AEDT 2014
Tasmanian Government Logo
Feature Image
Link to the Tas government site

Advice and Complaints

Advice and Complaints


Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading provides information and advice to consumers and traders on:


  • your rights and obligations
  • how you can best attempt to resolve a dispute or an issue.


You can contact us in the following ways:



  • Telephone Advisory Service  1300 654 499




Consumer Advice


Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading will only become involved in helping to resolve a dispute after you have attempted to resolve the matter yourself.  You must go back to the trader/supplier and discuss the problem before contacting us.


Sample letters for you to use to contact the trader are available here:


It is important that you keep copies of all documentation relating to the problem (such as quotes, receipts and correspondence) in case they are required at a later date.


Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading does not provide legal advice.  If you require legal advice contact the Legal Aid Commission, a Community Legal Centre in your area or the Law Society of Tasmania.