You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Nov 27 15:52:42 AEDT 2013
Courts and Tribunals Tasmania

Criminal and General Division

Change of Name

A parent wishing to change their childs/childrens name without the consent of the second parent, must make an application through the Magistrates Court for an order authorising the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages  to make the change.

The parent wanting to make the name change will need to:

  1. the reasons why they want the name/s changed;
  2. whether the child/children in the application has/ve any contact with the second parent; and
  3. if the parent wanting the name change has any contact with the second parent.

The parent will also need to supply a copy of the child's/children's Birth Certificate. If the child/children is already using the name which they want to be known by include any paperwork showing this information, e.g school reports, medicare card, Scouts/Girl Guide Certificate, first Aid Certificate etc

The application will then need to be lodged at The Magistrates Court along with the appropriate filling fee.