You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Tue Oct 01 13:28:45 AEST 2013
Email This Page
Printer Friendly Version
Generate PDF


The Launceston City Council requires various licences and permits for events and businesses within the municipal area.

Food business registration
Food premises are subject to annual registration and licensing of the operator and are required to make an application for registration annually. If you are purchasing a food business please request advice on the status of the business from the Council's Environmental Services Department.

Annual Food Business Application Form (PDF 255KB)

Place of assembly licence
Any person who wishes to operate, manage, conduct entertainment, lease or offer for lease a venue for Place of Assembly, needs a Place of Assembly Licence.

A Place of Assembly is:

  • Any place or area used for the entertainment of members of the public;
  • Any place or area used for the assembly of members of the public for social and recreational purposes; and
  • Any school or other place or area used for community or public purposes.
There are two types of Place of Assembly licence: 
1. General Purpose - this is an annual licence and is renewable 1 July.
Annual Place of Assembly Application Form (PDF 113KB)
2. Specific Events - this is issued for the duration of an event. Every separate event needs a separate licence.

Place of assembly licence (Specific events)
Persons wishing to conduct public events should first enquire with the Council's Environmental Health Department to see if a Place of Assembly (Specific Events) Licence is required before the events take place. Any public event that incorporates the use of any temporary and/or moveable structures such as tents, stages and amusement equipment will certainly require a licence. To obtain a licence you will need to complete an application form and lodge it at least 28 days before the date of the planned event, as it has to go to a Council meeting for consideration. You will need to provide as much information about the event as you can, especially copies of any certificate, licence, registration or permit from a functional control authority such as fire services or an engineer for any temporary structure or moveable structure used in the event.
Place of Assembly Licence Application Form - Specific Event (PDF 247KB)
Specific Events License Fact Sheet (PDF 268KB)
Risk Management for Public Events (PDF 257KB)
Emergency Management Planning for Public Events (PDF 257KB)

If you are planning a new premises, the Council has an information sheet to assist you in planning and design. You may also need approvals from the Council's Building and Planning Departments. 
There are a number of steps to take when you are planning your new food premises.
The Council has put together an Information Sheet to assist you in developing your food premises.
You may need three different approvals: Planning, Building and Environmental Health. 
For a copy of the Food Licensing Information Sheet call the Environmental Health Department on 03 6323 3216.

Free online food safety training
The Launceston City Council takes food hygiene within our city very seriously. All food businesses have obligations and the Council is assisting food businesses to meet those obilgations by providing free access to this exciting new training tool. There is a high demand for training within the food sector. This training will assist food handlers in developing the required skills and knowledge to ensure food is handled in a safe and hygienic manner.
The program is easy to follow, includes an entertaining presentation as well as interactive quizzes. A training acknowledgement form can be printed upon completion and be kept as part of your staff records.
Visit to conduct the training now. 
Information flyer (PDF 2MB)

Food stalls
Only people with a licence can prepare and sell food at:
  • School Fairs
  • Fund Raising Stalls
  • Street Stalls
  • Special Events Food Stalls
  • Weekend Market Food Stalls
You need to complete an application form and apply at least ten days before your planned food stall or you may not get your Licence. Your Food Stall Licence must be at your stall for the duration of your stall. If asked by the Police or a Council Officer you must be able to show your licence.
Temporary Food Business Application (PDF 262KB) 
Local Government Guideline for Temporary Food Stalls (PDF 2.5MB)

On-street dining
On-street dining is where a portion of the footpath or road reserve has been approved by the Launceston City Council to be used by a shop's customers for eating or drinking.
Council has specific street dining guidelines to cover the entire municipality of Launceston.
On Street Dining Application Form (PDF 268KB)
On Street Dining Specifications and Guidelines - THIS DOCUMENT IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE
For more information please call 03 6323 3209.

Food vehicles
A food vehicle is a vehicle from which food is sold directly to the public. Your vehicle requires inspection and approval from Council's Environmental Health Department.
Specific guidelines apply to the inside of the food vehicle.The Australia New Zealand Food Standard Code sets out a number of items you will need to consider. You can view these requirements at the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.

Specialised food and beverage licensing and approvals are required for a range of specific service arrangements.

Even if you are planning to serve food on a one-off basis, regulations still apply.
Temporary Food Business Application (PDF 262KB)
Food Vehicles Information for Operators Fact Sheet (PDF 250KB)
The Council's Environmental Health Department can assist you with more information on any of the above licences and can help you complete your application form/s. Please call 03 6323 3216 for further assistance.

Other fact sheets
Tattooing (PDF 248KB)

Ear and Body Piercing (PDF 265KB)
Acupuncture (PDF 248KB)