You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Fri Jan 04 16:04:46 AEDT 2013


Organising a Community Event

Organising Events in the Road Corridor
Vehicle and Traffic Act 1999
Transport Act 1925
Roads and Jetties Act 1935

DIER supports the use of the State road network for public events that benefit the Tasmanian community.  However, our primary concern is to maintain the safety and efficiency of the network, so you require approval to use a State road for public events.  You will need to fill in and submit an Use of State Road for Public Events Application, (PDF)

If your event requires full or partial closure of a road, you will need to apply first to the Tasmania Police.
The Police will consult with us if your event will affect a State road.

If you are planning a public event you will require a Place of Assembly licence under the Public Health Act 1997.  You will need to apply to the relevant Council.

Even if your event does not need any kind of road closure, you will still need to apply to us so that we can assess the likely impact of your event on the State road network and check that your traffic management arrangements are adequate. 

Before applying you should make sure you have:

  • Made adequate provision for access by vehicles, pedestrians, public transport and emergency services.
  • Provided adequate parking.
  • Planned to advertise your event, particularly if it involves road closures or traffic diversions.
  • Consulted with affected stakeholders.

Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites.  More information can be found in the Traffic Control for Works on Roads Tasmanian Guidelines 2011

By Mail: 


By Email:
GPO Box 936
HOBART   TAS   7001

Questions? Please call the Traffic and Infrastructure Branch on (03) 6233 8539.

More information about organising Community Events on the State Road network can be found at Temporary Signs for Advertising Community Events