You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Fri Jan 04 15:46:47 AEDT 2013


New or Altered Access onto a Road (eg Driveway)

Roads and Jetties Act 1935         

If you want an access (driveway) from your property onto a State road, or want to upgrade or modify an existing access, you will require approval. You will need to fill in and submit an Access Works Permit Application, (PDF).

No works are to be undertaken until a written permit has been issued.

Things we consider when assessing your application include:

  • The strategic importance of the road you want to access.
  • Whether the road has been proclaimed Limited Access.  If it has, you will not be able to get a new access and will only be able to modify an existing access in certain circumstances.  Check the Limited Access Road Maps, (PDF) to see if this might affect you.
  • Speed limit.
  • Traffic volumes.
  • Sight distances.  You may be able to improve these through trimming or removing vegetation on your property.
  • The intended use of the land.  If you intend to develop the land and will need a Council planning permit to do this (e.g. build a house), you will need to get that permit before applying for your Access Works Permit.
  • The types and numbers of vehicles that will be using the proposed access.

The permit is issued in accordance with the provisions of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935.  The permit authorises the Permit Holder and their Contractor, or Agent, to carry out the works described, subject to the conditions specified.  A permit will only be issued in the name of the title holder of the property.

Traffic control at work sites may be required to maintain a safe workplace for workers and to safely guide road users through work sites.  More information can be found in the Traffic Control for Works on Roads Tasmanian Guidelines 2011

Applications can be sent:

By Mail: 


By Email:






GPO Box 936




HOBART   TAS   7001


Questions? Please call the Traffic and Infrastructure Branch on   (03) 6233 7177.