9.4 Government Communications Office
The Government Communications Office, in the Premier’s Office, has responsibility for providing strategic advice and support on communications issues to the Tasmanian Government, managing day-to-day media relations, including media enquiries and releases, and coordinating and overseeing the effective communication of government policies, programs and services.
The Government Communications Office is specifically responsible for:
- collecting and analysing information to provide high-level advice to government
- developing an annual high-level overarching strategic plan for major government communications for the approval of the Cabinet Communications Committee
- advising agencies of the Government’s priorities, themes and key messages for communications – as approved by the Cabinet Communications Committee - that underpin or inform Government/agency communications plans and activities.
- coordinating major government communications programs and promotions
- involvement as required in emergency communications management and planning, including whole-of-government and national counter-terrorism arrangements
- reviewing communications strategies accompanying Cabinet Minutes
- liaising with and providing advice to Ministerial offices on day-to-day media issues
- authorising and distributing all media comment, writing media releases and coordinating press conferences
- liaising with the media on media issues and enquiries
- coordinating media relating to whole-of-government activities, including State Budgets and other major announcements
- overseeing the development and implementation of media strategies
- overseeing the Premier’s website.