You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Fri Jan 04 15:30:03 AEDT 2013

Wind power

Wind power

Hydro Tasmania’s operational wind farms are built in the prevailing westerly winds, the roaring 40s, which are a world class wind asset.

Huxley Hill Wind Farm

Our first wind farm, Huxley Hill, was built on King Island in Bass Strait in 1998, it was the second commercial wind farm in Australia. Find out more about the role of wind in the integrated renewable power development on King Island >

Musselroe Wind Farm is currently under construction

Find out more

Woolnorth development 

The Woolnorth development consists of two wind farms, Bluff Point and Studland Bay Wind Farms. Watch the Woolnorth wind farms begin construction in Positive Energy (2003).

Guohua Energy Investment Co. Ltd owns a 75 per cent share in the Bluff Point and Studland Bay Wind Farms. Hydro Tasmania is the operator of the wind farms and owns the remaining 25 per cent share. Visit Gouhua's website here > 

Date commissioned 2002 - 2004
Generating capacity 65.00 MW
Number of Turbines 37
Type of Turbines Wind

65 MW Bluff Point Wind Farm was completed in two stages - stage one in August 2002 and stage two in June 2004. Stage one consisted of just six Vestas 1.75 MW turbines, stage two expanded the wind farm with a further 31 of the same turbines.

Bluff Point Wind Farm and visitors centre Contruction at the Bluff Point site Stairs to enter the turbine Ladder to climb to the top
Date commissioned 2007
Generating capacity 75.00 MW
Number of Turbines 25
Type of Turbines Wind

The last stage of the Woolnorth development was started in January 2006 and completed in May 2007. Larger Vestas V90 3 MW turbines were used. The 25 turbines have a generating capacity of 75 MW.

Studland Bay turbines with cattle grazing Wind turbine in lovely weather The entrance to the turbine A view out the top of the Nacelle